Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Listen to the music, That's it,

The music makes you dance. " Pedro said to me during our milonga practica session with Tina. Pedro is a seventy year old milonguero who has been dancing tango for over fifty years. He makes the yummiest rabbit stew.

The music makes you dance. It is so simple when one gets it. Connect with my partner and then connect with the music, let the music tell me how to move my body rather than how my body moves to the music. With the right music and right partner, I am contented to have just one tanda a night.

9 comments:

  1. Ahem, if I may, it's spelled Pedro with an E :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a decent follower. :-) I think he's got the hip thing as well. See how he does forward ocho without breaking the embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and intimate video. Thank you for sharing.

    From an observational point, notice the difference between your upper body and his, especially from the side. You appear to be somewhat rigid between the shoulders while he is giving and malleable. Of course, that could be "performance anxiety" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johanna,

    It was not performance anxiety but anxiety of dancing with a seventy year old man. Somehow I find that woman's bosom relaxes me much more than a milonguero's panza. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. TP,

    That's a sweet video! I love it.

    And I love what you said here: "Connect with my partner and then connect with the music, let the music tell me how to move my body rather than how my body moves to the music."

    I hope to dance with someone tonight who things like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TB,

    I love it too. Hope you have a good time tonight. I am having a private with Silvina Valz on Milonga con traspie.

    XX

    ReplyDelete