Sunday, May 18, 2008

Selfishness

An old Chinese proverb: "The heaven punishes those who aren't selfish." There is nothing wrong about putting oneself first. One's own selfishness, however, shouldn't do damage to the common interests of others. In this case, a lot of others.

If one is smart enough or business savvy, one should know that tango business isn't a business that will make one rich. There aren't enough customers out there to make it a big business. There are what, less than 100, 000 dancers in the world? At most, it is a multi million dollar business. Split among all these people involved in the business, there isn't enough to make a few millionaires. If one doesn't have the passion, what's the point of being in this business? If one has this passion about tango, then one's intention will not hurt a great deal of people's common interest.

The following letter comes from a respectful person in NY tango community: Mr Richard Lipkin.

Dear NY Tangueros,

As many of you know by now, Michael Foster is running a milonga in an area of Pier 17 in the South Street Seaport that for many years has been used by Tango Porteno as its rain location. I am, by this letter, explaining why I have decided to take the unprecedented step of removing his listing from the New York Tango Calendar.

If you do not know Michael Foster, you can familiarize yourself by reading his own words:
http://www.newyorkt ango.org/ ohtango.pdf
His terms for dancing on Pier 17:
http://www.newyorkt ango.org/ taa/11.html

During the past winter, Michael approached the Seaport Museum that controls Pier 16, the restaurant Skippers on Pier 16, and General Growth Properties the organization that runs Pier 17. In each case he represented himself as the person to deal with concerning tango on the piers. Michael has never had any role in running Tango Porteno although he has taught a few lessons in the past.

This attempted hijacking of what is arguably New York's premier tango event cannot be allowed to succeed. Unfortunately damage has already been done. Although the Seaport Museum refused to deal with Michael, I believe the attention he drew to Tango Porteno has resulted in our being obliged, as a condition of continued dancing on Pier 16, to pay a floor fee or rent. Unless an alternative source of funding is found, this cost must be passed on to you the dancers in the form of a "donation" or admission charge. We are working with Skippers to lessen this but passing the hats will no longer suffice.

If too many people will not pay this donation, currently estimated at $5, the dancing will be over on Pier 16.

Sincerely,
Richard Lipkin



Although I've danced tango just over two years, and last year was my first year attending Tango Porteno, I instantly loved it. This is an event that has been going on for the past nine years during summertime. Always free, until now... I don't mind paying for the donation or any reasonable amount of entrance fee to support the event. That's not the point.

The point is that the spirit of celebrating tango is tarnished now that a donation or entrance is mandatory to keep this event going. All because of a single person's ego and personal interest. That's is the worst and most despicable kind of selfishness.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Tangeros,

    I am "Yours Truly" - "Michael Foster"
    I am an Artist first and a Dancer/Instructor Second.

    I am also a producer and have been doing so for the past DECADE in New York City.

    If you meet with me you will know INSTANTLY that I am (Quite contrary to Mr. Lipkins Comments) a thoroughly Un-selfish person, kind and always respectful of others.
    I am not into Ego Tripping. I am calm and relatively I reciprocate naturally. Hence my response to this confusion. I could never have time for sneaky reviews like this, in fact there is no way I can conclude if Richard or any one else has been doing things like this and for how long. Hello… I am a simply person. Very simple.

    I am not anyone's enemy. Plain and simple...the information given here is only to mislead you. Clearly Richard who is questionably "Gay" have never at any point in time questioned why I am producing an event at the South Street Seaport Pier 17.
    I am an artist…my productions are free to the public, and that includes the how, when and why I am producing.

    I am both ashamed and embarrassed for Richard Lipkin because I have always communicated well with him.

    I can go on to speak a lot about Richard and many others in Tango NYC. But tango is a personality until you have witness, my dancing, my dance program instructions/lesson and or performances you would be absolutely sure that there is more than enough and perfectly good reason and explanation for what a great introduction of an event that would more than compliment your New York City Dancing experiences.


    I hold no Grudge against RL, I am simply aware that he is overwhelmed...naturally.

    There are actually more to the eyes, hearts, minds and thoughts particularly as to what Richard is leading to “Tango Porteno” I am not sure if RL, is the correct person to speak on behalf of TP.
    Neither would I be the one to speak on behalf of TP. Peradventure…I do not care to comment on the politics concerning TP. Fact – TP has something to do with tangoporteno.com and tangoporteno.org which by now both owners have nothing to do with free outdoor dancing in New York City.

    New York Tango.org however…I am the owner. My Tango organization is not a Pop-Up! It is first genuine with promise and without provocation.
    Yes!@ times I have had some personal upheavals with the rivals of NYC Tango – those are in the past, behind us now.
    With great intent I will continue to produce and connect with all the right persons in dance and tango productions. YOU ARE WELCOME TO BE A PART OF THIS.

    Yours in Dance!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    "Clearly Richard who is questionably 'Gay' have never..."

    ---I don't understand why "being gay" or "being straight" has anything to do with the issue here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't get what "Gay" have to do with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael,

    Re: Your remark, "I am not into ego tripping"

    Here's a quote from your own website...

    "From The King Of Tango NYTB is New York's newest and most original Argentine Tango Group. With the lead of Michael Foster..."

    Who the #*@!! are you kidding?

    If you’re the "king", how come I (and none of my NYC tango dance friends) ever heard of you?

    All of your promotion of your Seaport event has to do with people watching dancers and dancers competing. We don't compete. We just dance. Your promotion of a tango competition is simply serving your dance teaching business. You certainly don't know much about Argentine tango, if you are centered on competition.

    No thanks to you for costing the Seaport group an unnecessary expense. Us loyal guests will be happy to pony up a few more bucks to those hard-working producers.

    I hope you enjoy your little tango enclaves that I'm sure will get even smaller because you certainly will not see my gang there.

    ...and about the "gay" issue ...none of my gay friends would operate at your low level. It's obvious that you don't get out of the house (or your own childish head) too often.

    Andrew Abrams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Need More info on Michael Foster. Can anyone give me a character profile? Deciding whether to take lessons at his studio and discovered this online.

    ReplyDelete