Friday, June 19, 2009

Pugliese

A lot of people dance Pugliese like stage performance on the milonga floor. Because the music is very powerful, average dancers will try to dance every beat. Pay attention to the floor next time you are in a milonga and not dancing to the tanda, and see how many of them dance frenzily.

The key is to control yourself and ride on top of the music, not just follow the music. Breathe along the music, use small adornment and movement to express the music. Take the time to dance, to talk to and feel the partner. Dance it like tasting a fine aged wine.

I don't normally dance Pugliese, hard to find the right partner. But when I do, it's often the best tanda of the night.

I always learn something when I watch them dancing.




4 comments:

  1. You don´t just Pugliese with anyone, that´s for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, I had two very good Pugliese tanda this year: one at Tangocamp, the other three months ago in NY. I am content to have a great tanda of Pugliese every three months. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm definitely fussy about who I dance to Pugliese with. :-)

    ReplyDelete