Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Poema

The first time I felt the woman's heart beat, I was dancing to Poema. I haven't danced or listened to it for a long long time. Although I have three tandas of Canaro con Maida, Poema isn't in any. It was like some old memory, being put aside and forgotten. Alex's recent post about eleven performances of this particular song brought it back. When some one from tango-l claimed that it was too precious to be interpreted by Carlos Copello and LunaPalacios, I laughed.

It was just a song. As a matter of fact, I know someone whom grew up listening to tango music dislikes it. I don't dislike it, but it isn't my favorite any more. It doesn't have the same effect to me as that time I danced to it and felt the woman's heart beat.

Maybe it was because I had felt many heartbeats since, or even better I felt the woman melting in my chest and I was out of this world dancing to different songs. Or maybe Roberto Maida's voice is less appealing to me, the music itself isn't that romantic. Or maybe it is so overhyped that turns me off. Whatever reason it might be, it is just another song, which doesn't even make into my tandas.

It is funny how things have changed as I progress. The once favorited and loved are no longer the favorited and loved. The once mattered is no longer mattered. As long as I am connected with the woman, any song sounds just like Poema, as I first felt the heartbeat of the woman.



4 comments:

  1. YES!!

    You are SO right!

    I remember the first time I ever heard Poeme, one night in Club Espanol. After that, it became fashionable and was played at every milonga. Now, hardly ever. I also remember when I first heard Tuba Tango in the 90's and rushed out to buy the CD; later I tossed it.

    The beat of the hearts--THAT's tango!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just find Poema an unbearable earworm. If it gets played, I can't get to sleep. Nothing gets rid of it, short of Britney Spears. Ooops ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britney Spears????? I am wondering how the dancing flower reacts to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily I haven't got her on CD, only in my head. The Dancing Flower prefers Elvis, I think.

    ReplyDelete