Thursday, December 27, 2007

Don't wake her up

"You want to put woman into sleep in the music with you." Javier said and Andrea translated. Hence the adjustment on the embrace, the posture and the walk; get rid of the little nuisance that disturbs the tranquility and learn to respect her space and her balance.

Use the body to lead, use the mind to dance, listen to the music, listen to her body. Keep these in mind, then one would not fixate on leading the steps but the quality of each step. It may sound abstract and it is difficult to do. One's body has to develop the muscle and strength to move smoothly.

If you watch old milongueros dancing, their upper body maintain at even level regardless what they are doing with their feet. Upper body movement is smooth, circular and calm even though D'Arienzo is playing. Less is more: less movement, deeper connection.

"Let her dream in your embrace and in the dance. Don't wake her up..."
---Javier Rodriguez


This is what I am working on...

4 comments:

  1. At a Christmas tango party two weeks ago I danced with my boyfriend and at some point he opened the embrace and led me some more complicated steps, I can't remember now what it was. I was reluctant, resentful even, and he felt it and asked me later what happened. I told him that during that dance I was in a different world, and I felt as if I was being woken up by the sudden opening of the embrace. His unhappy look disappeared from his face in an instant! Frankly I was also surprised at my reaction, we occasionaly use open embrace in classes and I never minded, but not in a milonga any more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Tanguera,

    Should have your Boyfriend read my blog then. :)

    It is not just opening the embrace that will change sensation: wobbly walk, uneven turn/giro, excessive upper body movement, lost of face contact... the list goes on.

    One of the "indicators" for me is the woman's breath. When I start hearing it, I know she is there.

    Happy Dancing and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea of embracing the woman as if she could sleep in my arms is working for me. I love these 'aphorisms' that hit at just the right moment and transform.
    Thanks to you and Javier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,

    I agree that the breath is something that is intimately shared. My ultimate connection is when I feel the heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete