Saturday, December 1, 2007

Salon Canning-11.30

Had a nice buffet dinner with NDM with a bottle of wine, cost only $20 each. I think I will go back again before I leave.

Went to Canning after. It was supposed to be the milonga for Friday night, but what a f@#$^!g nightmare. The level of dance was so bad while we got there. I just sat there most of the time and made snide remarks with NDM.

We went on to the floor and danced one tanda. During one song I was bumped four fucking times. It felt like back in Monday's DM luna milonga. You got people dressed in jeans with holes and sneakers. Most of the women didn't even know what cabeceo is. I looked and looked, no response (not even a signal of "NO"). I was frustrated.

Comparing to Nino Bien, the floor craft on this Friday was terrible. You got f@#$^!g old men who got no sense of direction, flinging the women with 4 inch heel around as a weapon and danced to every foot of free space possibly found. There was no flow of the floor. It reminds me NY, with actually some of the milongas in NY have better flow that one of Canning this night.

Saw Gustavo with his friends and Issac from Crossroad, it was interesting to see how they danced since we all studied with Javier.

Every single girl whom I danced with got some sort of flaws. Most of them don't have their own axis or wobbly, stiff embrace with the gringas. I danced with one Porteno. She told me she just danced in the milonga, and never took any lessons. No wonder she felt weird.

I was bit disgusted. We spent thousands of dollars to improve our dance. And you just come to milonga and dance. What the...!

Even my favorite Italian girl was felt rushing the steps. But she's got a good embrace. Plus I like her a lot. Other than that, the night was almost disastrous.

Sat with Javier's friend M a bit, and went over to Italian girl's table and we exchanged e-mail addresses and names. And hopefully will meet at the milongas some where.

I was feeling sore heels. I hadn't felt the wears on my heel for a long time. I know it was from dancing with these women whom don't f%$#@!g know how to embrace a man, don't f%$#@!g know how to stay on their axis, and don't f%$#@!g take any lessons.

There you go, Women don't get to be the only ones who b%^&*.

Hopefully Maipu 444 is going to be as good as last week.

Canning at 4:00am in the morning.

7 comments:

  1. Love to see Canning, it is a beautiful place. If you go again, and you get hungry, there is a great pizza place very near there. Go out the front of Canning turn left, cross the street at the corner and go left, walk halfway down the block. There is the place. Man that pizza was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canning is awful on Fridays, I am sorry I didn't think to warn you :-(

    One comment I must make.

    You seem to come down negatively on the portena you danced with who learned in the milongas. It might help to remember that:

    1) The portenos don't have
    thousands of dollars to spend on lessons,
    and
    2) the milongueros learned in the milongas, not taking tons of lessons.

    So basically, you danced with a milonguera.

    Just had to defend her there.

    We are fortunate enough to be able to afford lessons, and to that noe, I must say that I have really enjoyed reading your recounts of the lessons with Javier and Andrea - they sound like wonderful people. How much longer are you in Buenos Aires?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm sorry to comment twice but I'm getting more upset as I re-read this post of yours. I think it's out of line to be

    Remember that Argentina recently had an economic crisis.
    These people do not have much money, prices are going up for everything - tomatoes used to cost a few pesos for a kilo, now they are 15 pesos, for example. But wages - wages are not going up, and it's hard for them to keep up with this inflation.

    You and I might be able to afford private lessons, but she probably can't, nor can a lot of portenos.

    It's hard enough for them to be able to afford to go to milongas at all - you have to pay the entry fee, the taxi, etc. It's not easy for these people.

    Tango is probably something that has reached out to this woman in a profound way, gave her hope, reinstated her "Argentinity" and made her feel like she has something to look forward to on weekends. Maybe she picked Canning on Fridays because it's closest to her home and she cant afford the cab fare. We don't know.

    But in my opinion it's not right to knock her ability or be "disgusted" with her for that.

    Remember, you are a guest in her country, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (sorry can you edit my comment? I meant to say in the first paragraph "I think it's out of line to be disgusted with that woman") Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina,

    Group class costs $10 peso. Milonga fee ranges from 10 to 20 pesos. Drinks cost 4 to 6 pesos. How can you afford to go the milonga frequently, but not ever take one single group class? (saw this woman a few time during in different milongas)The way she said it was just plain arrogance.

    The people here in general are very friendly and warm. I felt welcome here and at home.

    I am a guest but also a consumer and contributor to its economy. I work very hard for every penny that I've spent here. Being an immigrant myself, I was not born with silver spoon in my mouth.

    Our economy is deteriorating as well. Gas price was $1.45 and now $3.45, egg costed 99 cents a dozen a year ago, now $1.45, the list goes on and on...

    My commission check is getting smaller and smaller, because business has been going down. Who is going to sympathize us, the average joes living in the states?

    It is not about the money, it is about the attitude. A lot of bloggers here complained about men don't spend time and effort to learn and improve. Well it is reciprocal. Here and everywhere else.

    Javier and Andrea are wonderful, generous and unpretentious. Javier is a great artist. The way he explained tango and how to dance tango was very zen minded. I felt fortunate to be able to have the chance the learn from him.

    Besos,

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's the tangled web of tango ;-)

    besos
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Un Tango y Nada Mas. Tango is tango.
    Non?

    Besos,

    TP

    ReplyDelete