Sunday, July 19, 2009

The music is same old...

I often hear people complaining about hearing the same music over and over again. They get bored.

I have been listening to the same old music over and over again for the past three years; more so recently as I started DJing. Sometimes I could listen to the same song over ten times a day. I never get bored, on the contrary I find something interesting and different each time I listen to the same song.

Then it occurs to me that the music isn't boring, just that people who complain never really listen.

The same piece of tango music has always been here, interpreted by different orchestras, sung by different singers and danced by thousands of dancers from various backgrounds in numerous ways. How could it be boring if there are thousands of different interpretations?

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."

6 comments:

  1. Yes, and it becomes very evident when you dj, that many people do not actually listen to the music. I can understand it with beginners, as it usually takes some time to get into the music, but for dancers with years of experience, it is still a mystery to me.

    I absolutely LOVE the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dancers of Buenos Aires have heard the same music for decades. Yet still there is a mass intake of breath at the start of "Cafe Dominguez" and "Pavadita," among many. You never get tired of great music if, as you point out, you really listen. People will still be dancing to these tangos in a hundred years from now. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you TP and Cheri. I love this music and it just gets deeper and more interesting for me over time. If all else goes wrong in tango and life...I am eternally thankful to have this music in my ears and in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people who say the music is boring are more likely boring themselves. I hear something new every time I listen. Sometimes I focus on a particular instrument. Tango music is so complex. Also, the more Spanish I learn, the more I understand and enjoy a song. Although I have a feel for the music, and to me the lyrics are incidental, when I read a translation it merely reinforces my feeling about the music, which is intuitive.
    Maybe the problem is that they are not really feeling the music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Along the same theme, TP, people have been reading, performing, and attending performances of Hamlet for over 400 years...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I know is that when my life is chaotic and I never know what's going to happen tomorrow, I cherish the most familiar tangos that I've heard a hundred million times. They'll always be there for me, always consistent.

    ReplyDelete