Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Suffering in Tango

'... look to suffer too much in the dance. Putting too much thought into technicalities, how to move, how to step, how to do this figure exactly, how to do exactly what this teacher said, what that teacher said, trying so hard to copy exactly how every teacher moved.'"
Excerpt from Crossroad

I have been reading some blogs and realized quite a few people out there are talking about the technical aspects of tango down to the specific bones. I tried to follow the detail descriptions. Two paragraphs later I was overwhelmed by the amount of anatomy in the writing: how one's pelvis should be placed in this movement, the degree of hip movement for that movement. For a moment, I thought I was reading a medical journal rather than a tango post.

I try to image how one dances while being conscious about one's shoulder, pelvis and feet. I can't do that, thinking about my body and dancing to the music at the same time. I used to HATE teachers counting step. I still can't associate 1234568 to the beat of the music. Maybe it is just ME who has never taken a class on Music. (Mind you, I am often told that I have great musicality.:)) And who invented this way to teach tango?

At my pre-intermediate classes, the Argentine teacher taught embrace as imagining yourself holding a bady, the American one a round cylinder. For some reason, when my American said that, I had the image of a steel pool in my arm, and i had shivers.

At a workshop on sacada that I attended a year ago, this young American taught about forming the triangle and stepping in 45 degree. At the moment, I thought I was back to college studying Mechanics 101 again.

"Soy, Voy" Javier taught me how to do a sacada: with intention and just go. He showed me, I followed; Andrea's leg was flying. No 45 degree, no triangle, no thinking, just go.

"When they (the Argentine) embrace, man or woman regardless, they don't tear their hair out trying to obsess in technicalities, posture, figures or the teachings of tango teachers."

"Instead they indulge in the shared embrace, listen to the music, to the singing, let the body move naturally and have fun; be happy together! They just want to enjoy the music, enjoy the partner and dance!"

"Why agonize over a perfect side step, or a perfectly led giro? As long as you don't throw each other off balance, and two of you get from point A to point B together, let whatever happen in between happen!" Javier dismissed with a wave of his hand.


Remember, tango for most of us is a social dance. It is not a rocket science, nor a fine art. Teachers, please teach tango as what it is. And dancers, let your body go, enjoy the music and the embrace of your partner. Enjoy tango.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou

    Though there are technicalities in tango (weight shift, etc.), it is mostly being tuned in to the body position of your partner, and how it is altered with your movements. All this preoccupation with foot pointing and the perfect height of the arm on the back, degrees, triangles, cylinders... I just want to yell

    "Shut up and dance!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Z, and so true!

    Perhaps the scientific, analytic approach appeals to American men who are uncomfortable with just feeling/doing it?

    Can you imagine Argentines teaching this way?

    But it is good IMO that there are more than one approach to learning.
    Whatever it takes, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I agree that tango should be felt. I can't understand those people that ask me how to move in angles or to be conscious of the beat. I remember when in a workshop one guy was asking if he had to rotate 30 or 45 degrees, the teachers were perplexed! Movements in tango should be shown and explained but tango is a physical dance not a theoretical science.
    However, I must say that knowing concepts of anatomy is quite helpful, not only for tango but for any activity that requires exquisite body movements. Things as simple as how you hold your left arm are quite important because that will determine which muscles you use to keep the embrace and how that affects your posture. Having said this, I get sentimental about technicalities and I would never put the word sternocleudomastoid anywhere near tango... But I can use that knowledge to improve my posture and to explore different movements and how they can be done. The secret is how to explain this to other people without losing them. Some people can, some people can't!

    ReplyDelete