Friday, February 29, 2008

Come when you are ready

Then you will the best out of the trip. I have met a German woman who came here for six weeks. Met her at Canning and we had talked a little bit. Poor woman, she left a luggage in the cab on the way in and lost her cell phone, camera and a bunch of stuffs. She is salsa dancer who took a few classes of tango. And there she is.

Met her again last night at Nino Bien, she came over to where I sat. She didn't have a good time. I took her out for a tanda. She didn't know how to do ocho cortado. She couldn't get good dances if she dances like this. She realized that and told me she would take a few classes before going to another milonga. I admired her courage, coming to BsAs alone without knowing much of tango nor spanish. She could have enjoyed the scene better if she is more ready. She is young and good looking. If she dances well, she would have been a darling of the milongas.

The other night at Canning, a woman from New York came over to where I sat. She's been dancing for about a year at the dance studio I used to take classes. I haven't seen her often at the milongas in NY, so I was surprised to see her. Apparently she would like to have a dance. I know how it feels to be alone in the milonga, times two while in a foreign land. Even though I knew it was not gonna to be very enjoyable , somehow I felt that it was the right thing to do.

Whenever I dance with someone, I always try my best. It was ten times harder to lead a beginner (even after her one year of studio learning) on the crowded and mixed level Canning floor. I had to make sure no accidents and no embarrassment. I was exhausted after two songs. "You should go to the milongas in NY more often" I mentioned to her during the break.

Every experience on the floors of BsAs' milongas is an unique one. I am in no position to say that don't come unless you are good dancers. Do come to experience the city by all means. But come prepared. Do some research, understand that except a few places (which I haven't been to) close embrace is the normal. Understand that when you accept a dance, then embrace the person like you embrace your family, your friend, your lover. A polite, ballroom style and cold embrace is a small offense to me. And understand that if you want to dance, don't be shy, look around for similar minded opposite sex, cabaceo is easier than you imagine.

Like in every other adventure, a good preparation ensures a better journey. May yours be just as good as, or better than, the fantastic one that I am having right now.

Off to La Ideal.

1 comment: