Friday, February 8, 2008

Two years, Two weeks, Two times

Two years ago, at 1:00pm every Saturday afternoon in Feburary, six people, two guys and four young and beautiful women took their first steps in tango with the fabulous Mariana Galassi . One of them has turned into a tango junkie.

For the next six months, I had taken average six to eight group classes and practiced four to six hours a week. I watched thousands of youtube videos related to the keyword: tango. Yet, I hesitated to step in the milonga world. The idea of being rejected hindered me.

I can't remember anything about my first milonga but my heart was beating fast the whole night. The feeling of being turned down by a woman often haunted me till I came back from Buenos Aires. I had stepped on toes, bumped knees and grazed breasts. I had struggled, frustrated and lost...

Now I am mostly calm and confident. I know the way that I want to dance tango. I begin to understand how to dance the music with my body, how to follow the woman and how to connect. And I am expanding my dance card one woman at a time. All these happened because I went to Buenos Aires...

In two weeks, I will be heading back to Buenos Aires the second time in four months. Other than taking more privates with Javier Rodriguez and Andrea Misse again, I will be looking into group classes with Geraldine Rojas and Ezequiel Paludi, Julio and Corina at Nino Bien and Canning, and El Flaco 's milonga traspie at la Escuela Argentina de Tango. Or maybe not. I want to know the city a bit more. I want to relax, chill out and have fun. Some friends are going to be there around the same time.

It is gonna be better second time around...

7 comments:

  1. TP, Like you, I will take a little more time to get to know the city, when we go back next November. I admire anyone who has learned to dance tango and has come as far as we have. Hearts still beating a little fast at first, then warming up, and as you say, dancing the music with the body. Two weeks! Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending all the information this week, TP, promise! You don't have too much time left! I am so happy for you. And a little nobly jealous :)
    Where were you tonight? Another somewhat (I am trying to not be overly negative) dull Monday milonga... I did my gancho and volcada quota for the whole year ahead, it feels like. Ten per minute on average, in all seriousness. Ugh!
    Besos,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear TP,

    I would love to hear more of your tales of the city and your off-tango moments--for those of us who will be sitting behind a desk two weeks from now.

    Wishing you an even better trip than the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. E,

    I am planning to go back in Nov as well while J&A are back in BA. So maybe we can finally have a tanda at Nino Bien.

    M,

    I was planning to go Last night. But the thought of not having a good time , the cold weather and the soon due rental of foreign films kept me home. If I knew you were there, I would have practiced some gancho and volcada with you as well. I can't lead them properly. :)


    TB,

    Will be blogging from BA. Love to share my experience in the tango city.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherie,

    Me too. My first milonga will probably be Los Consagrados. Save me a seat at your table? :)

    ReplyDelete