Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 2. los Consagrados

This is a local milonga on Saturday afternoon at Nino Bien, Humberto Primero 1462. Only a few gringos y gringas, y uno Chino. I went out around 5:00pm, took the bus to Plaza Italia to catch D train. It took me about an hour to get to Neotango, which turned out closed at 4:00pm on Saturday. Most of the stores had their gates down. Not a good sign for economy.

Anyway, took a cab and got to Nino Bien. Met with Ruben at the door. From my understanding, Cherie would be late. It amazed me how far I got with the very limited spanish I know. Sat down, ordered the Champagne, and eveything was so familiar. Every one was at their regular tables.

My first dance is with a beautiful Argentine, whom Reben raved about. But I knew her already, danced with her at La Ideal once. Apparently she remembered me, a cabaceo later we met at the floor. I was glad to have my first dance with her. She told me I am a very good dancer. Coming from a portena, it was a good compliment.

My favourite arrived. She was surprised to see me. She looks the same; same dress, same necklace. Everything is so familiar. We had total three tandas. I didn't know what rules I have broken. Will have to check with Cherie and Ruben again for some update on the codigo.

Had a wonderful tanda with Cherie, although I messed up a few times. But watching her and Ruben dancing a tanda of milonga, they were amazing, the best on the floor. I stole a few steps from Ruben, I guess I would have to get him a nice bottle of wine tomorrow at the Empanada gathering.

Ruben is a sweet guy. He constantly told me who was good dancer. I danced with a round figure chica he recommended, and it was good. I regretted afthat I didn't cabaceo her at the beginning of the tanda rather in the middle of it. Hopefully she is going to be around next week.

It got to the end of the milonga. One portena pointed her finger at me, yes you, you forgot to ask me for a tanda. She is the regular here, and a very good dancer, light as feather. This time I felt that I could lead her much better.

Apparently she agreed. She gave me compliment during the break, but also some tips at the last one. I had to relax my left shoulder, she felt the tension. She was right, I did feel a bit tensed. We danced the last one.

It was 10:00pm. And I was hungry from dancing all these tandas. Said goodbye to Cherie and Ruben I headed back to the apartment. Sunderland was next...

2 comments:

  1. Hola TP,

    Just catching up with you on all of your adventures so far. I love reading how you're getting so many nice compliments and everyone remembers you. That must make you feel great.

    Good for you. I'm glad you're having a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola TB,

    Indeed it was a great feeling dancing at Consagrados. You should book a ticket and fly down here tomorrow. Everyone is here!

    I am serious. Take the boy along so we can go out to the clubs and check out the hot Argentine chicks (just watching for him). :)

    XX from BA

    ReplyDelete