Friday, February 29, 2008

Day 7. Nino Bien

Went to Nino Bien early because Julio y Corina were teaching a group class. I watched them explained a few steps then sat down. Julio and Corina asked why I didn't join in. I smiled. Never again, group class.

It was just so happened that my table was right behind theirs. They were friendly people and of course maestros and great performers. But I couldn't see the steps that they taught being useful on a crowded floor. Later they danced to a milonga on the floor. It was beautiful to see.

And just as the class came to the end, I caught the sight of Tina and guess who: La Chemin Du Tango. It is a small tango world indeed. Later when a D'Arienzo tanda came up, I tried very hard to cabaceo her. And she caught it. She has nice embrace, feels light and follows very well. I enjoyed very bit of D'Arienzo with her.

Tina was popular. I couldn't get the chance to cabaceo her every time a good tanda came up. She was always on the floor. Finally one hour and half later, I saw her sitting down. Walked over and cabaceoed her. We had a nice tanda, but it was too crowded and too many not-so-good dancers around to have a great tanda. Hopefully at Consagrados on Saturday, we can finally be at our best.

Nino Bien is actually quite an international scene. Over fifty percent of the women are not portenas. And you can tell how tango has been developing in different parts of the world. I danced with a woman from Switzerland. She has the embrace and dance very well.

In my opinion, a lot of foreign women are as good, if not better, as the portenas. Few men could dance as good as the old milongueros. It is not the technique. There is something the old milongueros have that takes years to cultivate. Watching Tete dancing is quite an interesting experience. There is nothing special in his steps, but by watching him dancing with young woman :) I can feel the joy that radiates. Same with Ruben y Cherie, watching them dancing together, it is just fascinating.

The younger generation, however, doesn't have it. I have seen a lot of them perform and dance socially in the milonga. The connection is on the feet, not the heart. Too many figures, too many steps, too showy, lack of the magic that draws the hearts. It takes life experience to express the feeling in the music. Without the depth of life experience, then tango is no more than just another dance.

Cafeteria La Ideal martinee next...

No comments:

Post a Comment