Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Two days

before I take off to the Tangoland. I am less excited this time. Maybe it is because I have gone and come back less than three months ago. Or maybe it is because lately I have been having good time out dancing in NY. Or maybe I have had quite a few things on my plate since I booked the trip; I need to redo my kitchen floor and renovate the bathroom, finish my two year old project, do a overdue medical check up, plan a trip to Asia.

For past year or so, tango has taken over my life: dancing four to six times a week, watching thousands of youtube clips, spending hours writing and reading tango blogs, listening to the music over and over. It has been an incredible ride, the way that I have soaked up tango in just two years. And I start getting it: the music, the connection and the embrace... the ability to lead the woman dreaming in the dance.

But where do I go from here? With the exception of few, most of the women who I've danced with need much work on the embrace, posture, walk, let alone the concept of active following. I have been having good time, but only occasionally that I can truly immerse in the music and uninhibitedly share my feeling. The better that I get, the more I feel unsatisfied. I feel like I am giving more than I receive in the dance. I know there are still a lot for me to improve on, but what is the point?

Maybe it is time for me to slow it down. Just let tango be a part of life, not my life.

7 comments:

  1. "Look to the origin of your effort, not the results."
    - Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear TP,

    It is the nature of a passion to burn brightly and intensely for a while. A passion may flicker and die out, or it may burn with less intensity as time progresses.

    I understand how you feel. I wonder if part of the wonderful sensation we crave is tied in with the newness of our pursuit? When something is new and exciting?

    Whatever the outcome, tango will always be there for you. And that you decided to devote yourself to it, and fall in love with it, just makes it more wonderful.

    Happy and safe travels. Enjoy yourself! (At least you will not be cold for a while.)

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU WROTE: But where do I go from here? With the exception of few, most of the women who I've danced with need much work on the embrace, posture, walk, let alone the concept of active following.

    So - how do you choose your partners? By their youth, looks, body, possibility for a hook-up? Or do you choose a partner based on those elements you desire with no thought to her age or appearance? Observe the men in the milongas in BsAs. They do not limit themselves and neither do the women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,

    When I am in the milonga, I pay attention to the feet, the posture and the embrace of dancers. I have danced with women age from 18 to 60. And I do pay attention to appearance as well.

    As far as the men in BA, I observed them and quite frankly not that many impressed me.

    Or maybe it is just me, being pompous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TB,

    You are right. Whatever happens, tango will always be here for me. My guess is, when I get to the milonga there and hear the music, I will be all right.

    Dance one for you at Nino Bien.

    Miss Tango,

    I don't know any gringa can get so Zen. Maybe you will be the first one. Thanks for the quote.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. TP,
    More and more I look forward to our tandas together.
    I understand you when you say that it is time for you to slow down. tolet tango be a part oflife, not your whole life.
    I have gone through phases of actually resenting tango for all that it seems to have taken away. My interests which have fallen to the wayside! I could name them but I won't. When a day comes that tango can be a part of life and not the whole damn thing...that is the day I work for now.
    But TP! You sound very particular, and tango is inclusive. We make a life of tango by our interest and or adjustment to our partners, then the magic can come to us. Yes we give more than we receive. Yes we sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "As far as the men in BA, I observed them and quite frankly not that many impressed me."

    Ahhhh, but you haven't danced with them ;-) Observing from the side and cozying up in their arms are two different things.

    Bon voyage...

    ReplyDelete