Monday, February 25, 2008

Day 3. Lo De Celia y El Beso, Ruben's empanada.

It has been a long day. Where do I start?

How about a porteno asked me how was the girl with whom I just danced, at the end of the night at El Beso? I thought he was debating if he should cabeceo her. That put me on the spot. She was a nice person, but her posture was straight, and anticipated a lot. I had a OK tanda with her.

I didn't want to lie to the old guy. It looks like he is a regular at El Beso. But I don't want to badmouth anyone either. So I hesitated and responded: "Maybe it is me."
"It is not you, you are good dancers." He said in heavily accented English.

I got to El Beso early and saw the now-resident-of-BsAs from RI. She is a very nice person. She invited me to sit with them. I danced with her and her friends to start the night. Then a cabeceo to a young portena whom told me she is a lawyer. I was surprised. Thought she is only 20 something. We had a very nice vals tanda and so happened we were dancing in front of Tete and stopped at his table at the end of one song.

He said something to her. And then I saw him dancing with her at the next tanda. A few tanda later, she actually cabeceoed me for a tanda of milonga, which was a mistake. I don't have the traspie down yet. She missed a few steps. So I finished the rest in Lisa. She has been dancing for ten years and was surprised when I told her I've danced only two years.

There was an Asian woman who danced fantastically. I didn't catch the chance to cabeceo her. I kept a note for myself. I was a little disappointed the gringa, whom I met last night and had a great Pugliese tanda, was here tonight. I missed dancing with her. I could still remember the detail of the tanda, the moves, the connection, the conversation and the embrace. I hope to dance with her again.

Earlier of the day, we went to Lo De Celia, a martinee milonga like Consagrados, catering the local. There are only three turistas here: us (a Chino from NY, a chica from Norway and a gringo from LA).

I was dead tired by the time we sat down. Didn't see anyone I like to dance. The thing I like about the milongas in BA is that you can chat, order a drink and listen to the music. I had a great time talking to Cherie and Ruben about the music, a bit of gossips and other things. I danced a few with Cherie, the chica from Norway and una amiga del Ruben. The floor is marble, a bit too smooth for me to feel the floor. And I was bushed out and thinking about keeping some gas in the tank for later at El Beso.

We left around 10:30pm and I went to El Beso by myself.

I ordered two empanadas when I got to El Beso. I was hungry. But the best empanadas I had was made by Ruben. I had sampled quite a few in the afternoon before heading to La Celia. We had wine, champagne, the best empanada in town, and some helatos. I was tired but feeling very good. Good friends, tasty empanada, good wines and tango...

Life has been good so far in BsAs.

5 comments:

  1. I must agree with you on this point; Reuben does make the best empanadas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it called Lo de Celia?

    I want to taste Ruben's empanadas. I'm e-mailing Cherie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,

    You are right, it is called Lo de Celia. I corrected it. And yeh, you missed the best empanada in town! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TP,

    I was trying to figure out where is "Lo de Celia", but could not really find it on Tango Map.
    I have an old Tango Map from Nov. 2007, there are only two afternoon milonga listed: El Arranque-J. La Falce@Salon La Argentina and Alicia La Turca@Conf. La Ideal.
    I wonder if you can find it on the newer Tango Map?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TC,

    "Lo De Celia" is on Humberto Primo 1783. Get a Diostango while you are here. It has the milonga schedule and address printed in big fonts.

    Lo De Celia is not on the tango map. And the map is the same as the one that I had in November 2007.

    Anyway, have fun while you are down here.

    ReplyDelete