Monday, March 3, 2008

Day 10. Barrio Chino, El Beso

Woke up in the afternoon. Felt really sluggish. Had a Heineken for lunch and went to have a nap till early evening. Text the tango bloggers and decided to go for Chinese food at Barrio Chino.

It had been raining hard the last few days. Humbolt y Santa Fe, exactly where I stayed last time, was flooded. That section was closed. The taxi had to take another route. I felt lucky that I didn't stay the same apartment this time. I would have had unpleasant experience.

We went to the same restaurant. The food was decent enough. Every one was full and felt sleepy afterwards. The fatigue had been slowly seeped in. I didn't feel the urge to dance. Tina y CDT were going to El Beso. We took the bus 60 back.

I went to El Beso after dropped by the apartment and changed. I thought I lost the interest of dancing this night. Only danced a tanda with the portena whom I danced before. And a fucking guy led his partner into my elbow. He stopped and pull my elbow down in the middle of the dance. I was pissed. It must be my look. If I were a porteno, he wouldn't have done it.

I didn't say anything but kept my elbow where it was. This is the way I dance. I don't change just because you tell me so. Who are you to tell me how to hold my arm? I am a very sensitive and careful dancer who knows enough to take shit from a schmuck. Later I saw him lecturing the fellowers with whom he danced.

During the break in between songs, he came at me again. Pointed to my arm and said something like: per favor, keep it in. I gave him one of my stares, turned my face to the portena I was. dancing with. She shook her head, and told me in English " Don't mind him." I mumble: "stupid Locos." She nodded.

That was enough to finish the night for me. I didn't feel like dancing again. I chatted with Gus a bit, who came in later and sat next to me by the bar. I was getting impatient with the scene. Maybe I was tired, or the level of dancing was low. I felt uninspired watching the floor.

I took off early around 2:00am.

4 comments:

  1. Hey TP,
    Since I wasn't there and have not seen you dance, it's hard for me to know whether or not you were breaking the "elbow law" of milongas.

    So at the risk of annoying you further... :-(

    At the height of crowdiness, milongas require all of us to adjust our personal styles to best accommodate everyone and reduce risk of injury. If you are accustomed to dancing with your elbow out and/or high, you could easily give someone a black eye during a turn. This is not a matter of "style" but of consideration.

    Please don't take this the wrong way, but under the circumstances, the attitude reflected in your "this is the way I dance" comment is as offensive as his pulling your elbow down.

    BTW, I have seen porteños similarly correct other, less experienced porteños :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanna,

    I have danced on far more crowded floor here and had no problem. As a matter of fact, Tete was there last night and his partner was hit by a young porteno's hand, which was well extended out and his giros were fast. Tete just stopped, shoke his head reposed and moved on. I didn't see Tete stopped and adjusted the other guy's hand.

    As I said, I am very careful dancer and have very good navigation skill . And Javier had told me once that if it gets crowded, bring the hand higher. Well I will bring it up to him tomorrow and see what he says.

    I have a lot of respects for the portenos who dance well. But not for a schmuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said, I wasn't there. But him crossing the floor after the fact is definitely schmucky!!

    Do let us know what Javier has to say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've danced with you several times and have had no elbow problems yet.

    ReplyDelete