Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 11. Canning

Had a slow day. Took it easy during daytime and went out to Zival to pick up a few more CDs. I had been looking for a particular one: Grandes Del tango 16 Miguel Calo. This was third time that I came back to look for it. The guy kept telling me come back manana. Surely it was not on the rack. It was in stock, just that they never bothered to put it on the rack.

I saw the guy and spoke with him: " it is not there." Finally he gestured me to the counter, punched in a few keys, looked, picked up the phone and spoke a few words rapidly. Then he told me:"two minutes." and ran upstairs. Four minutes after he came down with the CD that I'd been looking for. Actually I just wanted one version of " Nada" from the album. But I was happy to finally have it. This time I have bought about 35 cds, which brings my tango collection over 150 cds and 20GB of itune. Quite a collection to sort through.

Went to Canning around 12:00pm. It was a slower night than last Monday, because of the rainy weather. Saw Tina and CDT sitting at a front row table. Waved at them and sat down a couple of tables behind them.

The floor was actually not very crowded. The floor craft was semi decent, not that many nuevo turn close embrace kind of dancers. First dance went to a portena who doesn't know who Javier Rodriguez or Andrea Misse is. "Too many Javier Rodriguez here " she said. I smiled.

What a contrary to our idea of tango stars. Here all the youtube heros are just regular folks who happen to dance tango. Julio y Corina were sitting a few tables away. When I danced with CDT, we were dancing right behind them. The nervousness of dancing right next to the top dancers is gone. To me, they are just another couple sharing the same floor. And they are better not space hogs. :) (most of them aren't)

Then I saw the gringa with whom I danced at Sunderland. I was very happy to see her. She later came over and we had a very nice tanda. Her embrace was so good. She had very clear and strong foot work that I knew exactly where her foot was. She was also having this "disassociation" that is typical of very good followers. It was a very very pleasant tanda with her, even though the music was uninspiring. She mentioned that my postures, especially the way my left arm holds, reminded her what her private teacher: Alejandra Martinian said about man's left hand should place like holding a piano. I told her that it was taught by Javier. We smiled. It was so nice to have danced with someone who learned the same way. We exchanged our e-mails after the tanda . And she went off to dance with a friend of hers.

Gus came in with his friend. It was so happened that one of the seats at my table was available. So he sat down right next to me and we had some chats. He was sounding more and more like Javier. " I have headache watching these people dancing. So many bad postures. The leader's head leans back, stomach sticks out. No wonder they can only do giros, can't walk." I agreed: few people can walk straight on the floor except a few old milongueros.

Talked about old milongueros: Tina introduced me to the low key but respectfully PS. I watched him dance. The 72 old man still has impeccable posture: straight back, strong lead and quiet walk. I am hoping that I could learn some Milonga con Traspie from him. I love Milonga con Traspie. A tanda of milonga (again so-so music selection) with Tina later, I was determined to improve my MCT. I could feel the potential that I have at it.

I had my good share of tango tonight. I was happier. The rest of the night I just chatted with Tina and her friend and watched the floor. The music wasn't really good. To be honest, my experience with female DJs hasn't been fantastic so far. Their selection of tandas tended to be on the even tempo side, lack of fire and energy; too mellow for my taste. In tango, man dictates the interpretation of the music. Andrea once told me: " you have to let me know how you want the song danced." I need to feel the music. The music that a DJ plays should get me off my seat and look around for partner. I didn't feel that urge once during the whole night. Gus felt the same way tonight: " What's wrong with this DJ?"

I couldn't wait to hear what Javier and Andrea say about my dance later tonight. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Hola TP,

    If you had a chance to take MCT from PS or other old milongueros, would you mind sharing their contact info? I want to focus on my MCT this trip.

    gracias,

    TC

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am really enjoying your visits to the milongas.

    ReplyDelete