Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Fellow Bloggers, Tango Friends

It is a small world, they say. It gets much smaller when you are a tanguero(a) who blogs.

When I started frequenting the milongas in New York last March, I thought it would be nice to write about my experience in the milongas, what I thought of tango at the time. Then I discovered other tango blogs and for a while my routine was: coming back from the milongas, have a beer,spend an hour or two writing my blog and then read some more.

Slowly I started making comments on others' posts and receiving comments. I participated in some small blog wars and fought one or two myself; made quite a few friends or maybe one or two foes.

Other than the few bloggers who have the courage to post their photos on the wild wild web, I often try to imagine what that person on the other side of the cable looks like, what is her/his personality, how well she/he dances... Between the words, sometimes I feel they are all so close, even though some of them live thousand miles away. When I sit in front of my 20in LCD screen and read about their posts, I feel like they are sitting on the other side of the screen. I am almost there living through their experience. I share their joy, frustration, and blissful moments.

By reading Issac's blog, I decided to finally take my first trip to Buenos Aires and learned from Javier and Andrea. I was glad that Cherie's blog had provided me information about the milongas in BA. And her service had helped me to enjoy my first trip tremendously.

I still remembered the first time I met with Cherie and Ruben. We had such a great time at Nino Bien that it became a memorable night in my first trip. I met my fellow New Yorker tangueras whom I had never danced with. How strange, we didn't have our first dance till we met in Buenos Aires, even though we might have sat next to each other in New York.

Meeting Sallycat at Cafeteria la Ideal was like meeting a friend who I haven't seen for a long time. Although our only encounter before was through comments on each other's blog, I felt very comfortable at her presence. I have much admiration for this courage woman. In a lazy Thursday afternoon, the empty Ideal felt special when I danced a tanda with her before I headed out for my private class.

Even though a smart guy like me, had figured out who were the beautiful chicas of tangoaddiction, I respected their wishes of remaining anonymous while we were in BA. But a smooth walk of Di Sarli at Porteno y Bailarin with Eva and a tanda of Pugliese at La Ideal with Malena had eventually broken the ice. We share a tanda or two whenever we meet in New York's milonga.

I feel fortunate to have met Tina during my second trip to BA. She is a beautiful dancer and lovely person with a warm heart. I wouldn't have the same wonderful experience this time if it were for her. Sharing a practica with Padro whom Tina has introduced me to, following her on an educational walk through the tango spots in Buenos Aires after the lunch at an Old Cafe, going out to Sunderland with friends twice, hanging out at La Viruta, talking with her about tango, the ghost... Tina, my dear friend, you had made my time in BsAs a rocking one.

And CDT: Le Chemin Du Tango, my multilingual fellow student of Javier, I will always remember our first dance at Nino Bien, a tanda of D'Arienzo, and our last one at Sunderland, a tanda of Pugliese, both are my favourites. As you said after our goodbye hug at La Viruta: I am sure I will meet you here again in Buenos Aires.

And what are the odds that three Chinese guys from three different countries: Singapore, Taiwan, and USA met in Buesno Aires studying with the same great teachers at the same time?
Issac, Gus, and yours truly. Although I am the oldest of three, you two are my inspiration.
I am wondering where we will be in tango one year from now.

I must say that all the fellow bloggers are good dancers. It makes sense. NO? In order to do well in something, you must first devote yourself into it. If we blog about tango, we must care enough about tango to be a good dancer.

TB and Elizabeth, the remaining two bloggers friends who I haven't met in person, you are just as close as the others to me. I am sure we will meet eventually one day, most likely in Buenos Aires. After all it is a small world.

Miss Tango, I will probably become a BA temporary resident soon. So I will be seeing you and the lovely Isa.

Johanna, our tango taoist, La Tanguera I look forward to having a tanda with you one day.

Gus said the good social dancers are not normal. I would say that we are special. For us, the tango bloggers, we have extra bonds. We share the same passion with the same dedication. We write about our feeling.

At this early AM Wednesday morning, with a glass of Norton Malbec 2004 in my hand, I salute you, all my fellow bloggers and real life tango friends. wishing you a tango journey as wonderful as mine.

11 comments:

  1. I love it when tangueros get sentimental...

    Cheers to you too TP.

    Nos vemos en la pista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TP!

    What a lovely way to start the day. I think we feel close to you because you have been so open and sharing with your tango journey and we empathize with you.

    You are right, it is a small world and I'm glad that I can look forward to meeting you in person someday.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. TP,
    I was really touched to see your entry this morning. The blog world has led me to some real friendships, to Buenos Aires, to connection. I have no doubt in my mind that we will meet, in this small world.
    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola TP,

    Great post. It's interesting that I was having the same thoughts and feelings today - about my tango blogging friends and our little blog community.

    I enjoy reading your blog. Next time I go to BsAs, I will have to get info on contacting Javier from you. I wanted to study with him last time I went, but could not find out how to contact him.

    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Nice post.

    I agree that Tango-blogging has opened a number of chances for me to meet great people, and I'm sure it's been for you.

    I do hope one day I get that tanda!

    Tanguera

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaww, sweet post TP! I read you are drinking Norton, go treat to yourself a bottle from Catena or Rutini. Mmmm qué rico!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rutini is too expensive for my blood. :-) 60-100 pesos? It calls for special occasion to open a bottle or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, ta for this post TP. As I sit here in England grabbing a rare moment to catch up the tango blogosphere with only a few days to go until I head back to BA, it reminds me of all you wonderful people who have walked and danced into my life because of my blog, and your blogs, and because of tango.
    I am grateful indeed.
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww... thats very sweet TP.
    It was a pleasure dancing with you Sat night. Thank you for the fun milonga tanda. I am extremely thankful as well to have connected with so many wonderful souls through this tango-blog community.

    We'll be looking for you on the dance floor. ; ) muchos besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words are so straight-from-the-heart and moving, TP. I'm also choked up over my Malbec as I write.

    It's not only the internet, blogging, or even tango that makes the magic of friendship happen (although what would I do without all three?).

    It's that good people--simpatica people--find each other. And the internet, blogs, and tango just make it easier.

    And I'm so glad that they brought us together. You too Holly, Sally, Alan, Cesar, Tina, Teresa, Johanna, and more...bright stars that light up my world via the internet, and often in person too!

    Saludos carinosos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And of course, Elizabeth--a wonderful artist, writer, dancer, and human being.

    ReplyDelete