Saturday, March 15, 2008

Day 22. La Viruta.

I had accidentally deleted my original post. So here it is again: I will try to be as original as I could remember.



Split with the guys who were looking for actions at bars somewhere downtown. Although the girls were hot and smoking (actually smoking), smoky bar and loud non-tango music were really not my cup of tea. So I caught a cab and headed to La Viruta.

On the floor were pretty much all not so good dancers, wearing jeans, regular shoes. It was pretty much everything goes. Nobody was taking oneself too seriously thereIt, which I liked. It was crowded. A lot of guys were standing by the bar looking for baits (babes). :) Seventy percent of the women were young and beautiful there.

Saw my friend and her daughter sitting at a nice table by the floor and sat at their table. Fabian Paralta was sitting next to our table with a young and very pretty girl. What does a guy with his look gotta hang out with babes like that? :) She didn't even know how to dance. I saw Fabian dancing with her on the floor like holding the hands of a baby learning to walk.

There was live music at 1:30am. The music wasn't for dancing, at least to me. But there were a lot of people on the floor. Quite a few were doing their first steps. It reminded me my beginner year dancing to live music. At times, I had to look away from the floor. It got ugly. Yike!

I danced a bit with my friend and her daughter when the traditional music began. It was actually very good arrangement. The DJ is fantastic at La Viruta, playing very good traditional or nuevo and even salsa music. Always enjoyed the music the few times that I was there.

They had been sitting since 11:30 and rejected a few requests for dance. "This is a meat market." My friend's daughter said to me. She remembered it as a respectful milonga where the nuevo guys, such as chico, fabian salas, hang out; eight years ago that was. They left soon as we danced.

I was enjoying it. If it weren't because I was coughing out of control, I would have stayed till 6am. After 4:00am, when the admission is free, a lot of good dancers started coming. I met a student of Javier and Andrea on my way out, when chacarera was playing.

I stopped by the bar when I saw the fresh media lunas were brought out in baskets. A cafe con leche and three fresh and yummy media luna were too good to pass over. I left happy with a full stomach.

One more day left in the tango land...

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm - I don't find La Viruta as much of a meat market as your friend says. Everybody knows each other there, so that couldn't be totally possible. Of course, I'm sure there is some of that stuff going on because it does have that sort of ambience, doesn't it... but it's not really that bad, and I find that every dance I've had there has been good and quite milonguero, with the exception of
    one the other week. The folclore is really really fun (chacarera, etc.) and I usually get asked by nice guys who help me understand how to dance it. To me it's just different. :-) It's a very romantic, if not dark, atmosphere and I feel the ghost there very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,

    For some one from out of town, who has no local friends and knows nobody , the experience is a bit shocking. I enjoyed my time at Viruta, though probably not as much as you do. You are a beautiful young woman. I am an odd looking Asian guy. :)

    Nonetheless, la Viruta is quite a experience. Like it, love it or not.

    ReplyDelete