Friday, March 21, 2008

First night out in NY

My first night out since back to NY. Met Maetro on the street and talked with him about his gf's loss the night we went out. La Nacional was half empty by the time we went in. Plenty of space to dance considered where I just came back from. I could almost image the scene at Nino Bien. With all the people from all around the world participating CITA, Nino Bien must be very tight and crowded. Even so, I would rather be at Nino Bien than at La Nicional.

I was glad to see my acquaintance dancing on the floor. Also I saw the chica from NY also sitting by a table. Went over and said hello. Gave her a warm hug three times. And then did the Viruta way (or NY way) of asking for a dance: Bailar? Grabbed her hand and pretended to take her to the floor. She laughed. Off we went for two tandas.

When she left for NY we danced three tandas at Porteno y Bailarin. They were good tandas, except the moment Tete stopped us and made comment to her on my highly held left hand. Maybe I will ask Tete what the hell you were talking about when he is here in May. Think he remembers?

In two tandas that we danced, she stepped on my feet twice, misread my lead three times and apologized four times. She told me that she didn't enjoy all the milongas that she had gone to here. In Buenos Aires, I saw her getting cabaceos from some of the good old milongueros and dancing with them. Here I saw her being dragged around by some old guys whom have danced just few years. I hope they are not going to ruin the interest of this woman to tango.

I danced with my acquaintance for God knows how many tandas. In the beginning I felt her embrace was not as comfy as last time that I danced with her, just about one month ago. Maybe dancing in NY does change one's many good tango elements. I had the walk down from my first private session with Javier and Andrea. Three month later, I had to rework on the walk again. How can I maintain what I've had and build on it? I would think it over before i throw myself back to the milonga scene in New York again. The last thing I want is to take two steps forward and one step back.

We slowly got more comfortable with each other. During one song at our fourth or fifth tanda, maestro came to us on his way to the bathroom. We were dancing and he said to us from behind: "you guys look great." What? I hated to be interrupted. " You guys look great together." He repeated it two more times. I had to stop the dance. He's my maestro in NY and a respected teacher. He is always proud of me being his student. His compliment meant a good deal. But in the middle of the song while I was deep in the music with my partner???????

I made a face to his back as he walked to the bathroom. What's up with these milongueros/Argentines, first Tete and now him?

We danced about six tandas. Last one was D'Arienzo and clearly I didn't dance as well as slow and smooth ones. I asked her if she felt anything wrong. She hesitated for a moment then told me that I was tense and that transfered to her. Brilliant! I needed some one to tell me that. I relaxed the next song and we finished it better than we started.

I went to have a beer and then watched the floor.Then that inspired my next post. So get ready for some TP's rant. When I saw a bunch of Tango Nuevo teachers and dancers coming in, I knew it was my time to go.

I had a good first night. Yet it reconfirmed my will of spending more time in Buesno Aires. Having danced just two years, I've already found the level of tango in NY low. It is the environment and the level of teachers. The overall quality of embrace, posture and walk are in the baby stage. The school ones go to doesn't have them in the curriculum. Or the teachers ones go to don't even know the ins of these basics.

The popular teachers are the Americans who have been dancing just a few years. Two things the Americans do well are advertising and marketing. The Argentine teachers suck at these two things. They are like the Shaolin monks hid away in the mountains. One who wants to learn the real Kung Fu has to seek them out.

I am fortunate that I've found my master shaolin monks here in NY and over there in Buenos Aires. I am at where I am now partly because of them.

3 comments:

  1. ZH, don't be too annoyed at those Argentines. They mean well. After you've danced as long as they have, you may not be so serious 100% of the time. Tango is many things, and one of them is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherie,

    Right on. I know maestro meant well. I don't know about Tete. 'cuz I didn't understand him at all. I don't mind being teased by the people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The marketing thing is the same in London. The ones who know best what they are talking about do very little marketing. It's also possible that they have as much work as they want with the people who are lucky enough to find them.

    ReplyDelete