Friday, November 9, 2007

12 Days

Needed to dance, I went to La Nacional early. Tried to have a tango nap before heading out, cheated with a glass of wine to get about fifteen minutes sleep. So by the time I stepped in the milonga, I was in a foul mood (plus the fishy smell that lingers downstairs).

I had a fab time last night at LG. I feel like a star at LG but in La Nacional I am still anonymous. First dance with an old acquaintance. She felt tired, stiff and wobbly. And worst, my maestro came in and sat down at one of the tables. I felt that he was judging me. Well, every one at La Nacional is judging one way or the other.

I tried to focus on the connection. We had a good dance. She thanked me like always. She is such a sweet lady.

Chatted with Maestro a little. He dropped and broke his new cell phone last night. Worse, that was a gift given by his gf three weeks ago. "I am in trouble." He said. " I have to fix it even it costs me more than getting a new one."

I laughed. "I won't tell her when I see her in BsAs."

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a man who has danced with and charmed countless women, who taught me how to be macho in my dance. And he worries about breaking a cell phone given by his gf?!

Men lose all their powers when they are in love with the women.

My mood was lighter after the chat with maestro. Then a dance with a new acquaintance. We met at Y and didn't dance last night. She has a different embrace and I am not very comfortable with it. Nonetheless, I tried my best to connect and we had a good time. She paid me a great compliment during the break and requested a dance before she left.

The turning point of the night was the following dance with a student from the University uptown and the organizer of the tango club. She just so happened sitting next to me. And I was glad that I asked.

Her embrace needs work, so does her walk and giros. No matter, we were having a great tango conversation. She did these cute, spontaneous, playful embellishments during a D'Arienzo tanda, that I couldn't help but smile. I led her kick into a empty chair. We stopped and laughed about it.

The tip of her nose touched mine. I felt that we were breathing together. At one point, I closed my eyes and felt just the warmth of her face. The world around us froze at that moment. I felt her body was completely surrendered into my embrace.

Then I felt beads of sweats coming down from our noses. I couldn't tell if they were hers or mine. She didn't move her face a bit. We danced like that for the whole song. At the end of the second tanda, I thanked her sincerely. We could've had the third or fourth tanda. But I dared not to spoil myself...

I was light hearted by the time I walked into the street. The night was still young, and gorgeous people were everywhere. Then I laughed at myself for being a fool all these days.

I think I will love Buenos Aires,

Only 12 more days to find out...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a beautiful post. I got the shivers! Thank you for such a nice little read this morning! I think I'm almost as excited about you going to BA as you are!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TB,

    Wait till you dance with me. Then you can tell me if you've had shivers.

    :)

    XO

    TP

    ReplyDelete