Monday, November 12, 2007

9 Days...

Rested for one night and two days, I was feeling itchy feet.This Sunday night was the reopening of La Milonguita Ideal with live music. It is on 31st street between fifth and sixth, just right off midtown tunnel. So I drove off after the Rockets game (and they won, one more reason to celebrate with tango.:) ).

Sunday night milongas are slower. Even it was the reopening night, the crowd was not that thick, comparing to last year. I just realized how quickly a year has gone by. And what a different dancer I am now.

The living music is fun to dance to. I love dancing to Tito Castro's bandoneon. He knows how to work the crowd. But sometimes the musician get carried away in their own music, and they forget about the dancers. I felt that way about the music tonight. So I decided to wait.

I went to the snack table instead, sandwiches, hams, veggie dips, candies, and some Argentine wine. Omar Vega came over and said hola. He seemed to be nice guy contrary to what I heard. I will take some of his classes after come back(if I do come back) from BsAs in December.

I started dancing when the recorded music was playing. First with an acquaintance, who just came back from BsAs, she again complimented my lead. Then I met a pretty young girl with long dark hair, whom is going to BsAs next week with a friend. Wow, I might see a lot of New Yorker in BsAs from what I learned so far. I meant to ask her for a tanda, but she was busy the whole night.

I danced with a former tango schoolmate. We started tango the same time. We had a good tanda, until the live music came back and I lost in interpreting the music and became less sure in the lead. We walked off the floor after the second live one.

Maestro was in the house. I chatted with him. He told me the cell phone was fine now. He had it fixed. He looked relaxed. Then this chica walked over. She exchanged a kiss on the cheek with Maestro. And she saw me standing with him and smiled at me. They went off to the dance floor. She is a fabulous dancer who went to the final of Compeonado Mundial this year. Maybe next time I could ask her for a tanda without getting turned down.

There came one of my favourite Tanturi tanda starting with Una Emocion. I went to the runner up of 1st USA tango championship. The first time I danced with her was at the same studio last year. I thought she was amazing then. We haven't had the chance to dance for a couple months. She looked happy that I asked.

Her embrace was different yet very comfortable. Her face was on my cheek. I could feel her eye lids closed and the slight movement of them. Our noses were so closed that I felt as if we were breathing together. And I breathed in the faint smell of wine from her. It was so intoxicating... I was getting fond of this embrace.

I love Tanturi and the tanda was great. She excused herself after one tanda: she had too much wine and she was afraid of not being at her best. I walked her back to her seat.

And that was it for me for the night. I chatted and socialized for the rest of the evening and left around 11:00pm. Got another compliment from a guy, whom danced tango for eight years and danced everything else since the 60's, on my way out. I remained modest:"still get a lot to learn."

9 more days...

No comments:

Post a Comment