Friday, November 23, 2007

Money, Money, Money


Woke up at 9:00am and had some fruits then went back to bed again. By the time I got up again, it was 2:00pm. Hungary! Didn't feel like microwave the Big Mac I bought last night, I decided to go out pronto!

I can't remember where all the money went. But now I am down 480 peso in one day, really need to have my dollar exchanged to pesos. I didn't want to go to a exchange office, their rate is worst than loan shark's. I remembered seeing a HSBC on Santa Fe by Bulines station.

Found it, walked in and it was ten minutes to three. Spoke with the guy at service counter, from my little Spanish I understood that minimum is 300 us and requirement is showing your passport. Fine. No problem.

Sorry, come back at three. No one is here. Or so that why I thought the guy told me.
Ok. I haven't eaten anything since 4:00am this morning. I will be back after 3:00pm.

Sat down at a cafe on Santa Fe. Waiter came over and gave me the menu. The only thing I recognized was 1/2 pollo. I didn't want to have chicken. So I pointed at the second choice from the top. Waiter looked at me and nodded, good choice. Yeh, let's have some whatever that is.

Sat there checking out the beautiful young women and girls walking by. And where is my cafe co leche? I was dying for some caffeine. Finally, twenty minutes after my lunch/breakfast was served. Simmered in the sauces was some potatoes(that I recognized) and strips? chicken?

Ha, not until I tasted it I found out that I ordered the fish. I love fish! Pleasant surprise. Ten minutes after I finished and went back to HSBC.

The guy went to the back so I waited for him in the front. Then the security guard came over and told me something, which I understood as that I should go to cambio if I want to exchange more than $300 us. The bank has maximum limit of $300 us. I was bewildered. But the guy was in uniform and spoke with authority. So I left and went to citibank.

Nope, it was closed by 3:30. No choice, I went to hsbc. $300= 900 peso, which is better than having just 60 peso in my pocket. The guard was gone. A lady came over and finally explained to me in English. The bank closes transaction at 3:00pm (I was there 10 minutes to 3pm). And minimum $300 dollar for the amount of exchange and need passport. And the bank closes during the weekend. My chance will be on Monday.

Finally, I understood what was going on. I have my ATM card, so I went to use it at the machine. OK, maximum amount showed on the screen was 700 peso. I press the 600 one. Nope, select lower amount. 400 peso, sorry, lower amount please. 300 peso, waited, no message, and the machined spat out 5 10 peso bill, 1 50 and 2 100 peso bills. What the ...?

How the hell am I going to have the hundred break? Every one hates large bill here. I am going to have some evil eyes when I present the 100 peso bill. Anyway, as Cherie told me last night, the ATM doesn't want to give you money.

Now I can appreciate being home for the convenience of banking. Here even you have the money, you can't get it out. Then again, I can't judge based on this experience. After all I am just a turista here...

To ease my frustration and a few hundred peso richer, I am going to Cafeterial Ideal's martinee milonga. Then a Jorge Firpo's milonga traspie class. More later...

3 comments:

  1. True, you can only withdraw maximum 300 pesos from the ATM.
    From now on, pay only with 100 peso bills at restaurants and grocery stores (everybody does that). Even if you have smaller bills, only pay with 100 peso bills at those places, that way you are always supplied with a nice supply of smaller denominations in your wallet.
    Exchange offices at the airport is a shark. Exchange offices at the banking district downtown are not. You can go there, walk around and make note of all the rates offer then pick the one with the most favourable one. And of course, don't forget your passport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the trick I use is to always select the 'Other Amount' option at the ATM, then ask for 90 pesos or 190 pesos rather than round 100s. That way if it has the change (and it doesn't always) at least you can force it to deliver smaller denomination notes... The ATMs only let me have the $300 limit BUT you can withdraw three times in one day to a total of $900 pesos (or at least that's how it seems to work for me).

    I am loving your descriptions of your experiences by the way... all so familiar. You are giving me a few chuckles as I remember some of my own early days here! Keep enjoying and espero que nos vemos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline and SC,

    These are very good tips. I will be just doing that tomorrow. Exchange the money at the casa de cambio.

    And started withdrawing odd number of cash. I have to stop by carefour soon to pick up something. Will use the 100 bill there.

    Besos,

    TP

    ReplyDelete