Tuesday, November 13, 2007

8 Days.. and Home is where your heart is...

When I first started tango, I thought:" wow, this is heaven for single guys.". What else can get you so close to a woman and to so many women? I was driven to be a very good dancer so I can dance with the prettiest and the sexiest, and many of them. A good dancer I became, I found different meanings in tango.

Dancing with friends, I've found joy and peace. Dancing with Strangers, I've found passion and thrill. What I long for, however, is to dance with some one whom I care, and find love. (I know! It sounds hopeless romantic, even downright stupid and naive.)

I have tasted passion. Passion was consuming. It was like drinking double shots of strong whiskey; it burned my throat, warmed my stomach and numbed my mind, sometimes blinded me too. But the sensation was short lived. And I had to risk a hangover.

I have experienced thrill. It was exciting and heart pounding. But I couldn't handle thrill on the daily basis.

For a short time, I thought I have found some one whom i like and would like to care for. The dance was different from then on. I had experienced something magical in the dance.

Then the past couple of weeks I had been lost in the " she likes me, she likes me not..." state of mind. When the "she likes me not" struck, I felt I could have moved to the faraway land where tango can be danced anytime of the day. Two nights ago, after a glass of fine aged tequila, I dreamed about being happy in the foreign land, where I find my tango love.

I think it happened to a lot of people. When they are not happy with their lives, they find happiness elsewhere. There is an old Chinese saying: " Tree dies when it is moved, people live however." A new environment is sometimes good for the soul.

But every time the plane descends to this city from the many foreign lands that I've travel to, I look out the windows and feel that I am home again. Here I have my family, my friends and the memories of all these years. My heart is still here. This is my home.

So tonight, it suddenly struck me that I looked at the whole thing the wrong way. I trapped myself unwisely. I should read it as Yuenfen hasn't arrived yet. If it doesn't feel right, then probably it is not meant to.

There, I no longer look at BsAs as an escape but an opportunity to grow as a better tango dancer and better prepared when Yuen finally arrives and the love strikes. I feel liberated from my own dark thoughts and depression. I can sleep quietly now.

8 more days...

8 comments:

  1. ...What I long for, however, is to dance with some one whom I care, and find love. (I know! It sounds hopeless romantic, even downright stupid and naive.)...

    No TP it does not. To dance a tango with the one you love, two souls, two hearts, one joy... is beautiful, possible and for me today, reality. Love took 44 years to find me. And it found me when I least expected it, in a place where I never expected to find it. Maybe I just wasn't ready for it before. This post is beautiful. Keep dreaming because dreams really do come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SC,

    I like that "...dreams do come true". With that thought in mind, I started my day full of energy.

    Thanks for sharing,

    TP

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, TP. But I hope Tango becomes a tool that opens you up to more possibilities, and not narrows you down to fewer.

    Tango transforms the person, not the surroundings. If I had kept my eyes open for my "Yuenfen" only in the Tango world, I would have missed him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johanna,

    Every single comment that you made has brought truth and wisdom. My attitude towards to it right now is 随缘(roughly translated as let Yuen come to you), be itin the tango world or outside of the tango world.

    I hope that I would find i in the tango world, and be able to share the feeling. I love tango too much. It does transform me in many ways, and refine me.

    "there are plenty fishes in the sea." To limit myself to certain types would be foolish and unwise.

    But sometimes I fall for the certain types, and that's why sometimes I have this feeling of being trapped in my own world.

    Thank you for the enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are many philosophies about having your soulmate also be your tango partner, and not everyone agrees as to whether or not this is a good thing. I think that when you find your true inner voice, you will no longer "fall" for people who are "wrong" for that voice...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johanna,

    I will drink a nice bottle of chianti to "finding your true inner voice".

    Thanks again,

    TP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear TP,

    I read this post several times before I could even think of what to say in reply. Mostly I just want to thank you for such a beautiful and honest post. Your thoughts are so full of feeling and truly wonderful to read.

    I know that BA will be a wonderful time of growth and discovery for you. I am just anxious for you to be on your way!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. TB,

    Thank you for reading. I can't wait till Nov.21st. My mind is already there. My Argentine teachers were giving me tips and names. Friends who had already been there also gave me advices. It is wonderful to feel all the warmth.

    I will think of you while dancing in the milongas in BsAs.

    XX

    TP

    ReplyDelete