Sunday, November 18, 2007

Conversation with a "beginner"

Went to the maestro's milonga last night, last one for me till next year. Maestro will be back to BA on the day that I intend to return and stay there for two months.

Maxi Copello and Maria Blanco's performance was absolutely amazing. She was fantastic. The precision, energy and elegance of her footwork were mesmerizing. All eyes were on her. That's what a good lead does, making the woman look beautiful.

I had three tandas with two acquaintances. Then I was ready to leave. But I wanted to dance this young and beautiful "beginner". I haven't seen her for a few weeks. She was looking so good even though she was dancing with a few not-so-good leaders.

I chatted with her during the breaks of songs.

"Haven't seen you at LG for a while." I asked.

"Oh, I am taking Omar Vega's class on Wednesday now." She smiled.

"Great, How is it? I am planning to take some when I come back from BA." I was curious about Mr.Vega's milonga workshop.

"Well, it is good in general. Pace is slow because he relies on translator. And the level is mixed." I nodded understandably " Then I learn to stick with the people whom I know from the studio."

She becomes a sweetheart of the guys here at the studio. And she is learning to stay away from the bad leaders as well.

"So Are you still taking classes at the studio." I continued as the music began.

"Yes, how can I not. I am taking six." She was so proud of herself.

"Wow, that's great as long as you are enjoying it." She reminded me my beginner's day, tried to absorb everything like a brand new sponge in the water. "I used to take eleven a week." We both smiled.

She definitely got a lot better since last time I danced with her just a few weeks ago; more confident, more relaxed, more into the music and dance (judged from the rhythm of her breath). I think that she's passed her beginner's stage. It is harvest time for her to enjoy tango for all the hard work she's put in.

I couldn't help but feel happy for her...

No comments:

Post a Comment