Friday, November 16, 2007

5 Days and 5 minutes private

I was dancing, the tanda was D'Arienzo's. I was in this huge milonga, very crowdy; yet the energy was flowing and in harmony. Then there was this noise coming from nowhere, loud, squeaking.

"Spur is having problem penetrating, Dallas...."

What the...? I opened my eyes, and my TV was on TNT. Spur Vs Dallas, 3rd quarter. What the time is it? I suddenly realized I was late for my 9:30 private with maestro. I overslept my tango nap.

I ran out of the house and jumped into the car. It was 10:10 then, called Maestro and partner, told them " I am coming..."

Luckily the traffic was light, I did 65 on a 50 limit highway. Twenty minutes after, I was at the studio.

Apparently, partner had a good class with maestro. I had about 5 minutes to dance a song with partner. Off we went.

Four steps.... Stop. Too soft, too many tiny steps. More energy! Dance lower. Go again...

Readjusted the embrace and connected with partner first, and relaxed the knees. Yes, very nice. Very good.

Then maestro taught me the highlight of the class. " Focus on the hips, hers and yours." I am not going to go into detail how and what to do with ones' hips (core is more proper). But what a difference it made when i followed it. The control and quality of the dance was changed dramatically. And my partner definitely felt the lead much better and stronger (not physically though).

That was it. Five minutes with maestro and I got over the biggest hurdle I had for months: how to dance with my core (hips is misguiding). It clicked.

Then we all went to La Nacional. Maxi Copello and Maria Blanco were there, so was Omar Vega. Maestro so proudly pointed us out to Omar Vega while we were on the floor: these are my students, they are the best on the floor (it was a slow night.). Mr Vega agreed.

He told us that later, which brought huge grin on my face and sparks in partner's lovely blue eyes. Hard work paid off...

5 Days...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, TP,

    If you're having breakthroughs in just five minutes now, you'll probably have them every thirty seconds in BA!

    ;-)

    Congratulations on your achievement and that your maestro is so proud of you. I can only imagine how terrific you must feel and what a wonderful reward for your months of hard work and dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TB,

    Thank you for your comment. When one puts in effort, great thing happens.

    We both felt great when maestro told us that. La Nacional is a tough place to dance, while all the visiting Argentines teachers dance here.

    Last night was a slow night. But I am getting more confident. When you come visiting NY, should definitely go to L.N.. I would image that it reminds you the milongas in BA.

    Have a nice weekend.

    XX

    ReplyDelete