Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Club Gricel- Monday night 11.26

Club Gricel is on La Rioja in san Critobal, a bit far from where I live. Took the last subway of the day round 10pm, D line to Catedral and changed to E and got off at Urquiza, walked up two blocks to the left. And here it was Club Gricel.

It was F's last night in town. Saw her right away on the floor when I walked in. It was crowded then. The host greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. That made me feel comfortable already. Then she had me waited to be sit it. Since I am a tourist,solo and it was crowded already at the time, I was assigned the worst seat, which was also taken.

I sat down and ordered agua con gas. Before long, two gentlemen came off the floor and told me that they sat there. The host made a mistaken and the seat was taken. Didn't know what to do, I got up and walked back to the front and tried to talk with the host.

Then Ruben and Cherie saw me and signaled me to sit with them. They were with their guest tonight. I danced with F a beautiful Pugliese tanda. We spent most of the time in each other's embrace, only a few steps here and there when space was available. I would miss dancing with her.

I walked around just like rest to practice cabaceo. And this woman stopped me. Wanna dance, she asked with heavy accent. A portena. Ok, why not. How bad she could be? Well, to say the least, she felt different. In the break, we had a little conversation. It turned out she had been to NY before as a.... Tango teacher! And it seemed that she knows a lot of people: my maestro, lexa, Daniel from dancetango.com. She asked me to say hello to them. I told her that I would carry her hellos with me home.

I didn't know if it was normal in the milonga. She stopped in front of a table where some of her acquaintances sat, and said to them "Chino, bailer tango." Her friends nodded and said "Bueno"

I didn't have a very good night in terms of dancing. The floor was very crowded, and I got bumped once and kicked twice. One guy blocked me during a Pugliese tanda. And I left one of my dressing socks at the apartment. So I was in my white button socks. I didn't want to look stupid in front of these people. So I danced in really small steps and tried not to show what was under of the hem of the pants.

But I had a great time socializing... I would have good dancing another night and anothe milonga. I came back happy, happy to be in Buenos Aires...

2 comments:

  1. I still think you would like "Yira Yira" on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EB,

    I will try " Yira Yira" for wednesday I don't have plans yet. 2Nite at P&B
    Podesta is performing. So definitly going to be there.

    XX

    ReplyDelete