Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Private Two- In search of the perfect dance

Went nuts with the shoe shopping. Found the shoes Javier wore and recommended at Neotango. Spent one hour there and finally picked up three. Then went to El Arranque for the milonga martinee. Was too tired and didn't even dance. Had lunch at 6:00pm at a cafe at the corner of Callao.

Walked to Javier's apartment 10 to 7pm. Andrea wasn't there yet. Tried on the new shoes, they felt good. Andrea came in 10 minutes later and thought I was wearing Javier's shoes.

More comfortable now, I started to gain confidence in my dance. Javier and Andrea communicated to each other after we danced half song. She thought that I was opening my left side a bit, she felt a bit pulled off balance. I knew that the cause of it must be the last couple of weeks that I was trying the V shape embrace.

We spent a good amount of time trying to fix the little nuances, such when to collect the feet for me, (especial when lead the woman into the cross from ocho cortado), how the think of the right arm embrace as having two needles hanging from both side and try to maintain that way, how my left hand should be by my body not to push the woman the arm, and walk straight line. I corrected them little by little until Andrea felt perfect.

Then she had a little request. I needed to show her the music. It took a few minutes to understand that. The man interpreted the music like a conductor. The man shows the woman how he wants this music to be danced. The woman shouldn't have to guess the music. I don't know if this sits well with North American women. But this is how I am taught.

In the last dance with Andrea, a Di Sarli, I danced the whole song with her. After that, Andrea told me it felt perfect and Javier gave me a thump up and gave his seat to me to sit down.

I was tired physically (not just from the class but from all these late night dancing.), but I was emotionally high. Went to the apartment to fix some dinner and headed out to Porteno y Bailarin. Alberto Podesta is performing tonight.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, NeoTango. My home away from home. Even more so than Comme Il Faut.

    Show us the music! Yes! Somehow we hear the music better when you interpret it for us. Does that make sense?

    I am starting to wonder if you'll coming back home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K. TP, take it from me: Shopping is tiring, it is work, you are wearing yourself out, and must save your energy for dance. Don't burn out. Food, rest, sleep, dance, repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TB,

    I have seen over 100 woman's styles at the store. I bought three pairs and they are very comfortable.

    I guess you would have to come over to NY for me to show you the music.

    I don't want to come back. I am at home here. Here is my tango home.

    EB,

    I only did shopping twice. Other time, just eat, sleep, shopping, class, milonga, eat, sleep. I think I can last till Monday.'

    :)

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you buy 3 pairs of the women's style? ;-) (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

    I wear a size 9.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget to sleep!

    Did you find out if the fabulous teachers will be around?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina,

    You are right. I have to sleep. Will take a nap before the class then I will remember to ask them if they are around Late Feb.

    TB,

    Yes, I bought three pairs with 4 inch high heel. I tried one on and danced like the queen of the night.
    Sorry, you are two size bigger than mine. Can't give you mine. :)

    XX

    PS Afternoon milonga sucks here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina,

    They are here in BA till late March.

    XO

    ReplyDelete